What Does Tattoo Removal Look Like After It’s All Done?
Knowing what tattoo removal looks like after it’s done is something you should understand from the beginning of the process. One of the most common questions we get during our laser tattoo removal consultations is, “will my skin go back to normal?” And if this is something you’ve wondered too, we have good news for you. For the most part, yes, your skin will go back to “normal”!
That doesn’t mean that there aren’t exceptions or that every laser tattoo removal process will be the exact same for every person, which is why it’s important that you do your research and choose a reputable laser tattoo removal clinic in Austin or San Antonio for your procedure. We’ve been removing tattoos for over 14 years, and during this time, we’ve seen just about everything and have been asked every question you can imagine. In order to help put your mind at ease and decide if laser tattoo removal is the right option for you, we’ll go through some of the most common questions we get and go into greater detail on just how the process can affect your skin.
Common questions about laser tattoo removal and your skin
Laser tattoo removal breaks up the pigments of tattoo ink using high-intensity light beams that are set to specific wavelengths by your certified laser specialist. The ability to tailor and control the laser is one of the reasons why laser is the most effective method of tattoo removal.
While laser is the safest and most effective option for removing tattoos, there’s still a lot of misunderstanding and confusion around how it works. Here are some of the most asked questions we get to give you a better idea of what to expect.
- Can tattoos be removed completely? Yes, however, it depends on the ink used in your specific tattoo. We’re achieving 95-98% clearance on average. This is another reason why laser tattoo removal is a great option for people who are looking to get cover-ups.
- Are newer tattoos easier to remove? Not necessarily. It all depends on the qualities of the ink used in your tattoo. You’ll likely notice that a lot of the answers will circle back to the ink used, and that’s because laser removal works by breaking up the ink particles in your skin.
- Does tattoo removal leave scars? No, as long as aftercare is followed. Our certified laser technicians will walk you through all the necessary pre and post-laser care instructions from the time you come in for your free consultation through your laser removal sessions.
- How long after tattoo removal do you see results? Laser tattoo removal is extremely effective, but there’s no one-size-fits-all approach, nor are the results going to be the exact same as others. Results will vary from tattoo to tattoo, person to person, and that’s because of several factors such as size and location of the tattoo, ink color, the age of the tattoo, if you have any skin conditions, etc.
- Does your skin go back to normal after tattoo removal? Yes, as long as aftercare is followed. One other important thing to note is that if you had scarring in the area either from the tattoo or otherwise, the laser will not remove the scarring that existed before your appointment, but our laser will not cause more scarring.
How can I ensure a successful laser tattoo removal and avoid side effects?
As with any other procedure, there are possible side effects, but we can’t stress enough that if proper aftercare is followed, the likelihood of you developing any serious or lasting side effects is very low.
Some potential side effects may include redness, swelling, tenderness, and bruising. However, this is a good sign as it shows that your body’s immune response is reacting to the treatment, which is necessary to eliminate the ink from your skin. With that being said, these side effects shouldn’t last more than a day or two, and if the redness or swelling persists, you may want to consult your doctor.
If proper aftercare isn’t followed, you run the risk of developing an infection, hyperpigmentation, and hypopigmentation. All of which can contribute to long-lasting changes in the appearance of your skin. The aftercare for your skin during laser tattoo removal is very similar to the aftercare required for people who have just been tattooed. Avoiding sun exposure, high-pressure water, swimming in lakes, pools, hot tubs, the ocean, etc., staying hydrated, and avoiding alcohol and smoking are also important steps.
MEDermis Laser Clinic Can Help!
Your tattoo was made to be permanent so make sure you enlist the help of a pro to guide you through the removal process. We’re proud to have been serving clients in Austin and San Antonio longer than any other clinic in the entire southwest region of the U.S. Contact us today to schedule your FREE consultation!