How Many Tattoo Removal Sessions Does It Take to Remove a Tattoo?
One of the top questions we get is, “How many sessions will I need to remove my tattoo?”. The truth is that every tattoo is different, everybody is different, and therefore every treatment is different. With that being said, there are some universal truths that can help give you an idea of how long your laser tattoo removal process may take.
However, please keep in mind that laser tattoo removal is not a one-size-fits-all treatment and ultimately we’ll be able to give you a good idea of the number of sessions needed after our free consultation with you. During your consultation, we’ll assess your tattoo, medical history, skin type, and use these characteristics to inform how your skin/body may respond to laser tattoo removal.
What should I expect with laser tattoo removal?
Although we can’t give a concrete answer on how many sessions your tattoo will need without seeing you in person, we can answer a few other common laser tattoo removal questions that we often get which may help clear a few things up for you.
- Can a tattoo be removed in one session? While many tattoos can be completed in one sitting the same can’t be said for laser tattoo removal. This is due to a variety of factors, but one of the most important being how the laser works. In laser tattoo removal, the laser breaks up the ink of the unwanted tattoo layer by layer and because lasers are strong, your skin and body need adequate breaks between sessions to avoid permanent scarring or other issues.
- How many tattoo removal treatments are needed? In our nearly 15 years of operation, we’ve found that most tattoos need 3-7 sessions to see complete removal.
- Does laser tattoo removal completely remove the tattoo? Laser tattoo removal is an excellent option for people who are looking to fade tattoos before a coverup or even get rid of the ink altogether. While the success of the laser will depend on things like the type of skin you have, the age, size, and location of the tattoo it is possible to nearly erase all ink. Check out our Before & After gallery to get a look at some of our past work.
- Are old tattoos harder to remove? Generally, older tattoos can be easier to remove thanks to years of exposure to the sun and elements. For example, if you have a tattoo on your forearm it has likely been exposed to the elements and faded over time.
- How can I speed up tattoo removal? The best-kept secret to speeding up tattoo removal is to be as healthy as possible. Your immune system is a crucial part in getting rid of old ink. Some great ways to ensure your immune system is strong and in the best position to help improve the laser tattoo removal process are to stay hydrated, well-rested, eat a balanced diet, follow your aftercare instructions, and avoid alcohol and smoking.
With all of this in mind, we hope you have a better idea of what to expect from the laser tattoo removal process. Remember that factors such as:
- Age of your tattoo
- Ink and ink color of the tattoo
- Size and placement of the tattoo
- Your immune system
These factors can all play a role in how quickly your tattoo is able to be removed. While laser tattoo removal is the most effective way to erase ink it’s also crucial that you seek treatment from a qualified and experienced laser technician.
MEDermis Laser Clinic Can Help!
Your tattoo was made to be permanent so make sure you enlist the help of a pro to guide you through the removal process. We’re proud to have been serving clients in Austin and San Antonio longer than any other clinic in the entire southwest region of the U.S. Contact us today to schedule your FREE consultation!