Large Tattoo Removal: What You Need To Know
Laser tattoo removal is the safest and most efficient method for removing tattoos when done by a trained specialist, but that doesn’t mean that every removal looks the same. In general, when it comes to laser tattoo removal, the motto “slow and steady wins the race” is the best advice we can give, and that holds true, especially when it comes to removing large tattoos. Giving your body the right amount of time to heal is crucial.
Removing big tattoos is possible, but it’s extremely important that it’s done with the right approach; otherwise, you could run into complications and lasting side effects later on. If you’re curious about large tattoo removal results, costs, and what to expect, here’s everything you need to know.
What you need to know about large tattoo removal
We’ve removed over 50,000 tattoos at MEDermis Laser Clinic, and over our 15 years in business, we’ve seen that when it comes to evaluating large tattoos, breaking them up into smaller sections is the best approach. That’s because the body is more efficient at clearing ink particles when working on smaller areas at a time. Treating too large of an area all at once can dilute the body’s resources and limit its ability to remove the ink.
While your specific tattoo removal process varies on factors such as size, placement, age, and color of the tattoo ink, we typically wait two weeks between treating a new area of your large tattoo removal. This is because proper aftercare is key to recovery, and it allows your body time to focus on one section and clear the ink particles.
If you have a large tattoo or multiple that you want to have removed, the best place to start is with a free consultation so that we can customize a treatment plan for you.
Common questions about large tattoo removal
Although we recommend coming in for a consultation on your large tattoo removal, we understand that there are still plenty of questions you may have before getting started. Here are some of the most common questions we’ve gotten related to removing big tattoos:
- How many sessions does it take for large tattoo removal? As we mentioned above, the number of sessions will depend on various factors. However, you should expect to have a few sessions at least two weeks apart.
- Is it painful to remove large tattoos? Removing large tattoos is no more painful than another tattoo removal because we break it down into sections, removing only small areas at a time. Some areas of the body tend to be more painful for removal than others, with the most sensitive being places with a lot of nerve endings (wrists, ribcage, feet/ankles).
- What does large tattoo removal cost? Your tattoo removal cost will depend on the number of sessions determined during your free consultation. Our prices start as low as $99 per session, and we offer special deals and financing options to fit your needs.
- How long is a tattoo removal session? Every situation is unique, but you can expect a session to last around 15-30 minutes. Your first appointment will be a little longer (between 45 minutes and an hour) because of your consultation and paperwork.
- What should I do for aftercare for my skin following the tattoo removal session? Your laser removal specialist will go over detailed aftercare instructions with you during your consultation and after treatment, but in general, it’s important to avoid direct sunlight or to get the area wet within the first day of your session, as well as to avoid activities that may cause excessive sweat for at least 48 hours after.
Get large tattoo removal results with MEDermis Laser Clinic
In the last 15 years, we’ve had clients come in for large tattoo removals to make space for a new tattoo or even a cover-up, and we’ve even had clients who wanted to fully erase their ink. No matter what your objective is for your large tattoo removal, we can handle it! Check out our Before and After gallery for a look at some of our large tattoo removal results.
If you’re even a little curious about having your large tattoo removed, we encourage you to schedule a free consultation with our team. We’ve been removing tattoos in San Antonio and Austin for over a decade, and our Certified Laser Technicians will put your mind at ease and clear up any questions you may have.
The MEDermis Laser Clinic team has years of experience and is ready to answer all of your laser tattoo removal questions. Are you ready to schedule your FREE consultation? Get in touch with MEDermis Laser Clinics today by calling our Austin clinic at 512-637-5277, the San Antonio clinic at 210-402-4030, or by filling out our online contact form.